A built-in scale and aluminum adjustable hitch. That is what witch safe is basically known as. The weigh safe hitch is the sole type of trailer hitch actually that comes with load adjustments indicator scale built-in.
So, the whole towing become much safer and better than usual. However, with facing weigh safe hitch problems things can make a U-turn and leave you in a huge mess whatsoever.
Let’s talk about a few scenes that happen with the part experiencing issues and just discuss what shall one do afterward. Hopefully, you’ll grab some notes on handling the situation a bit better.
What Is the Most Common Weigh Safe Hitch Problems?
Usually, users face three problems with the weigh safe hitch. And it’s either a misalignment problem, the ball playing too much, or a broken weight safe hitch causing trouble. As soon as you encounter these, finding appropriate solutions are a must!
Facing Misalignment Problem with Weight Safe Hitch
It’s true that even with being very careful in choosing and going through tons of weigh safe hitch reviews, sometimes the bad thing happens and the thing shows up with a misalignment problem that you must do something about quickly.
Here’s a way that we feel should help you in case you are having an improper alignment to deal with
- The first thing is taking measurements. Focus on the trailer frame’s outer side. And you want to measure just from the coupler center. Go around 32 inches on both sides and make marks using whatever marking tool you have (pencil, marker, and so on).
- This mark basically is meant for the sway bracket assembly. Now before you get into the link plates installation, a few things should be cleared out from the way. These are gas lines, electrical wiring, or brake lines. Make sure you check the frame of the trailer and that there are no such wires going around. Or else a bad installation is guaranteed.
- You want to re rout these wires if can’t avoid them. And that should be enough to keep them away from getting damaged by the link plate as well. Once you do so, carry on the installation of the plate.
- If you put the bracket exactly 32 inches, then it’s believed to put the least amount of pressure on hitch components as well as the trailer. And so, the ride becomes way more comfortable than before.
- Now not in all cases you would be able to place those brackets exactly 32 inches. You may find an obstacle not allowing the 32 inches distance thing. And that thing, unfortunately, cannot be moved. For example, it could be a propane tank support. Or in some cases, a battery rail.
- In such a case, you can have the link plates close to the coupler. Just make sure the minimum distance is 27 inches on center.
Hitch Ball Movement Got Increased
This case basically refers to a weigh safe -2 ball mount that has a movement raise at the ball for a 2.5-inch hitch. And as you can see, something with a built-in scale of 2-ball mount must not have a lot of play.
The first thing to assure here is to check the ball holding pin so that you can confirm if it holds the ball properly in place. Sometimes the hitch ball proves to be on the wrong side. Then too many issues can occur.
Make sure the ball fits the trailer and the pulling weight you’re aiming for. And you do so by getting the correct size. For example, if it’s a 10 to 12 thousand pounds trailer, then the ball must be the 2-5/16-inch size.
Often people misunderstand that a slight play of ball could be a problem. However, that’s not true! A little bit of play is perfectly fine. However, with increasing amounts, it can disfunction badly. And then you should think about getting replacement parts.
The Weight Safe Hitch Broken Issue
Sometimes due to improper weigh safe installation the hitch gets broken. And if that happens, you must get the sized lockout. And if you don’t know how to execute the removal, let’s help you with some instructions beneath.
You’ll Need – a strong screwdriver or center punch, a table vice but it’s optional, and a hammer, if possible, get the sledgehammer specifically.
- Start by setting the hitch assembly on the side. The slide lock should be facing upward. The hitch’s slide part would need some support right beneath. And this shall make the pins of the slider lock’s back end not supported.
- You can also try setting the hitch on the grass. In this case, the table vise can help. And you must use a cloth or rag. This will have the finish (usually made of aluminum) protected. And then you should clamp the hitch. That way it won’t create movements.
- The pins should be located on the sides of the lock. You need to place the screwdriver on the head of these lock pins heads’ one by one. You can even use the center punch instead.
- Now using the hammer, tap on the center punch or screwdriver. So that the pinhead starts slowly sliding out of the lock plate. There shall be no issue with the pins coming out the remaining way.
- At this point, the lock, as well as the lock plate, is still hooked with the slider. You want to start rotating the plate in a counterclockwise 10-degree motion.
- It can be slightly tricky with the rotation process. You can use the hammer for tapping on one end while trying to rotate, this should help.
- After giving it a 10-degree rotation, hold the plate with your hand and start pulling it upwards. You may have to use little force to make it come out. Sometimes it could be hard for your hands to grip properly. In that case, use a pair of pliers to make the process easier. You can also use vise grips to get help here.
You May Like This Video Too!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Are weigh safe hitches accurate?
Where are weigh safe hitches made?
How does weigh safe hitch work?
Having weigh safe hitch problems and not knowing how to fix things can be really frustrating. Hopefully, this guide was helpful for you to come up with some theory on what could have happened with your weigh safe hitch.
Now if it’s still pretty much the same and unknown, then we’d recommend you to talk to get professional help. They shall conduct a small inspection, and tell you exactly what is causing the trouble. That way it’ll be way less stressful and easier to solve.
You Can Also Read:
Ah! Driving your King has no twist when you have zero knowledge! Yes, Noah is here with his core experiences about trucks, cars, suvs and atvs. Working as a cheif editor for Automasterx to make you satisfied with solid data driven post.