Thinking about ford f150 5.0 performance upgrades by doing some changes and getting a few mods is definitely a great thing. Just like the ford 5.4 3v performance upgrades, this can make a great change to the whole performance of your truck.
But what’s not great is having insufficient information on what your options are. Also, information on what type of changes will actually make the f150 work better, faster, and more efficiently.
If that’s what you are having trouble with, then don’t worry anymore. Because today, we have finally decided to sit down and talk in-depth about this whole thing.
Hopefully, by the end, you’ll have so many ideas as well as details on each of these that can actually improve the performance of your vehicle. Shall We Give it a Go?
The Ford F150 5.0 Performance Upgrades & Changes That Will Help
You can try taking out a few unnecessary electrical components and make the truck weight less to increase the speed, tune-up certain areas of the truck that gets worn out due to constant use, pay for professional tuning, add turbo or supercharger, replace the exhaust system and install cold air intake to upgrade the overall performance.
Reducing The Overall Weight Can Make Your F150 Perform Faster
Trucks are not the fastest vehicle out there. And one of the biggest reasons behind that would be its weight. The overall mass of these vehicles is way higher than any regular everyday transportation.
This is true for f150 specifically, as it comes with a weight that would be able to give the hauling trailers as well as mudding benefits. And to accommodate those needs, the engine is huge in size and so there’s more torque as well as horsepower.
One irony about speed and weight factor is that the engineers need to cut down the power to reduce to have minimal weight so that it can be faster. But for certain tasks that these trucks have to do, not having enough power is way worse than not having enough speed.
But that being said, you can apply a few tricks to reduce weight. And these are mainly usage-based ideas that help to somewhat reduce weight, but it won’t be a drastic change.
Now if you must get the drastic change in power without weight change, then you need to do either one out of these two performance upgrades of ford f150 5.0:
- Get a huger version of the engine.
- Add a turbo.
Both of these are matters of big expenses. Something you may not want to go for. And if that’s the case, you can try the simple ideas that we’ll be giving next.
Ways To Reduce the Weight
- Electrical components that are not very necessary, you can remove those. For example, you can take the heating system, speakers’ stereo, and air conditioning unit out.
- You can also try stripping the interior. And by that we mean you can get rid of any random junk that’s in your truck. Rip the carpeting out and you can also remove all additional seats.
- You can also go for a battery replacement and bring something lightweight. The same goes for any heavy materials that can be changed with a lighter option. Avoid having spare or jack.
- The body panels are usually of heavy metal material. You can swap that with lightweight fibro glass options. Go for wheels that are light as well, something that does not have much tread will work best for such a purpose.
- Again, anything that can be taken out should be removed. Don’t carry an unnecessary toolbox, something people mount over the bed. Then you can also get rid of the truck bed if it’s not in use.
As soon as you take these steps, you should be noticing some performance upgrades, at least the speed. You’ll notice the truck is now moving faster than before.
However, keep in mind, if you are also reducing or taking out components that were in charge of the power factor of the truck, then the speed would be again not very impressive. You have to keep the right balance basically.
Keep In Mind – Reducing weight isn’t the only part of increasing speed. You have to balance the weight as well as produced power. Because the more power, the better the vehicle’s ability to go beyond the restrictions that were there because of the weight.
Tuning Up is One of The Finest Performance Upgrades You Need to Try
If the goal is performance upgrading of ford f150 5.0, you should not keep out a tune-up. And if you don’t know what this is all about, well you do basic testing of the entire vehicle. Just to confirm that the parts are working absolutely fine. And if it does not, you treat that area or tune up that area basically.
The area of the truck that goes under this process would be mainly
- Heating & Air conditioning system.
- Spark plugs.
- Oil, fuel & air filters.
- Fluid & oil levels.
- PCV valve.
- Oxygen sensor.
- Distributor cap.
Just To Let You Know, Tune-Up Is Important!
Not just because of performance upgrades of ford f150 5.0, generally also, a tune-up is necessary. It does help tremendously in increasing the overall speed of your f-150. But also, the thing would help any truck that was used for quite a while now.
The parts that are involved, are all basic and elementary parts, which you must have already noticed. And the truck to last you an expected period, you must give this basic in-charge of all operations some good cleaning and maintenance overall.
That way you are not only boosting the performance but also doing the bare minimum for a truck that’s been withstanding for a while now. As of now, the truck’s system must have gunk, dirt, and debris attacking it to give up soon if you don’t take the necessary actions.
Here’re The Things to Focus On
- Pay attention to the filters first. These would need replacement as soon as they get dirty. The fluids will start breaking down. And that would cause a clog in the systems. This eventually leads to wearing out hoses. So, if you own an old f150, it could be even worse, and you must take filter replacement more seriously from now on.
- Another very essential tune-up would be an oil change. People do this at home and that saves them some money. And that’s amazing actually. Just make sure to invest in good-quality oil filters. So that as you do it yourself, the results are better. And it also helps in upgrading the performance.
- Make sure to clean the spark plugs, and replace them when necessary. A yearly change would be great.
- You have to also replace the sensors that are not working anymore, focus on changing the distributor cap and clean annually the air conditioning system as it gets clogged with constant use.
- Brake pads go through damage over time. And so, you have to replace the brake pads, probably more than once each year. It actually depends on your frequency of using the vehicle as well as the rotors’ rotation.
- Checking all fluids by a professional is also a good idea. Debris polluting the fluids is a common scenario after using it for a while. The transmission fluid, that is in charge of keeping the transmission gears safe, will need the most attention. A couple of times of checking every year is recommended.
The Ideal Time to Tune-Up?
Doing ford f150 5.0 upgrades by tuning up will cost you not much. And so, it’s best if you can do it whenever the system feels a little too slow or not giving its best. However, for a general idea, once every year of complete tune-up would work best.
If you have done certain modifications to the vehicle, you’ll have to do more tune-ups then. However, an oil change is the only thing that you should be doing more. Check the provided manual, the ideal oil changing times will be mentioned they’re by the manufacturer and you should follow that.
Ideally, an oil change after every 3000-5000 miles of driving sounds perfect!
You Can Get Professional Tuning
If you have gone for quite a few modifications for the truck, think about professional tuning. In that way, you’ll have the best benefits from the upgrades of ford f150 5.0 that you’ve got.
You see, the other parts might have been upgraded already. But the computer, it’s also an important portion that will need upgrading.
And if you don’t already know, the stock tune of most trust is not the best quality. So, professional tuning up becomes an even more legit thing to try.
Also, this is going to be one of those upgrades of ford f150 5.0 that would get your power increasing. As it needs calibrating as well as aligning of truck’s various parts. And one may be able to do this by hand.
Just have to make sure the level, height, and neatness are there. Computers and other electronics are what people use these days instead of the head for tuning.
So, if you have the gears as well as some experience with programming, then try it yourself. You’ll need to connect the truck with a laptop, a regular cord would help you with that.
And then you can tune it yourself. However, if you have zero ideas on this matter, getting it done professionally spend a more safe option.
Think About Supercharger or Turbocharger Adding
Something that would be able to forcefully get additional air inside the combustion chamber, that’s what turbo or turbochargers are capable of doing.
Here’s what happens with a turbocharger.
- Because there’s additional air inside the chamber, the explosions also get bigger.
- And so, each burst allows additional power.
- Having extra air forces fully getting inside the combustion chamber is fine, but that should be done without any damage, and turbo can make that happen.
Quite similar is the superchargers.
But the only difference is that the supercharger would stay directly attached to the engine. On the other hand, the power turbocharger gets is from the exhaust system.
Here’s what happens with a supercharger
- It would receive power from the engine.
- It uses the energy provided by the exhaust stream.
- Then it would compress additional air inside the chamber of combustion.
As you can already tell, both of these would forcefully induce the systems with air. Something that a typical system is not capable of making itself. The forceful air into the chamber thing is also called forced induction. And it can very well raise the pressure level inside, leading to more power.
The Turbo or supercharger will allow extra speed to the vehicle, which is referred to as a boost. And if you buy one of the very popular ford f150 5.0 upgrades called boost gauges, you’ll be able to monitor this boost that the charger bough to the vehicle.
How Does It Upgrade Your F150 Performance & Make It Faster?
- Pressure increase will lead the air to enter the tiny space of the chamber forcefully.
- This would lead to more air, fire, and power. And there won’t be the need for any larger chamber to make that happen.
- All of these combinedly make the f150 faster.
Which One for Upgrading Ford F150 5.0 for Performance Improvement Will Work Best?
Installation-wise, the supercharger is easy. As it just needs to be sitting on top of the area that stays close to the engine. On the other hand, the turbo is a little tricky to install. That’s due to the exhaust system running turbine matter. It’s located on the truck’s bottom area.
But then again, this placement and the overall mechanism of turbo make it a more efficient outcome-giving choice.
One more thing is that turbos will need an exhaust stream. Only a sufficient build is possible for spooling the compressor. This is not true for superchargers as you would be able to give it a go after tuning on the engine.
Cold Air Intake Installation Upgrade
Before explaining how the installation of cold air intake can be a fantastic step at upgrading ford f150 5.0 for performance, let’s clarify a simple theory that you may or not know.
Colder air is capable of transferring more oxygen. And for that reason, it is capable of burning at a hotter temperature as well as is faster.
Now if you are a little familiar with these things, you’ll know that choosing could air inside the combustion chamber would be a much better deal than having air that was earlier heated by the engine’s heat.
As that will just bring better explosion chances. And the better explosion, the better speed. That’s exactly what cold air intake will bring for you. It will literally transfer the air filter and keep the engine safeguarded from the heat.
Here’s what happens with cold air intake
- The cold air intake would keep the heat rising from the engine away by staying low.
- It would work even if installed in other places in case air inside the chamber is possible to add without bringing the situation of it heating up.
- Everything combined would make sure the horsepower is raised, and yes even with gas mileage this takes place.
- Due to having more than enough oxygen inside the chamber, usage of gas will become low.
- Eventually, you’ll be spending less on gas purchases, at least one or two-mile.
Not only would you save some on gas but also air filters. This is because generally ai filters need replacement after it gets buildup of debris and dirt. But the cold air intakes come with reusable filters, so you don’t have to spend on the replacement of filters that way.
However, There’re a Few Catches with Using Cold Air Intake
- You would go towards hydro-lock more and so; it will cause the engine to take up too much water and lock up.
- It however would depend on the system you install but expect the truck to become a little nosier than before.
- You would notice some impact on idling ability due to 90 degrees bends on piping.
- Compared to the stock filter, the clogging of filters will be too soon now.
Upgrades The Exhaust System
Another thing you can do to improve the performance of ford f150 5.0 is to replace the exhaust system. Because the stock exhaust system is not the best quality most of the time. There are several restrictions with it and also the quality isn’t really impressive.
If we try to understand the exhaust systems, these offer the best outcome when you get the velocity to the fastest and at the same time you keep restrictions smallest.
With the restriction of airflow, increasing the exhaust fumes’ velocity is possible. And that means you want a way where you don’t have to restrict the airflow but still have increased velocity.
The solution would be to reducing the restriction and maintain the proportion to exhaust increasing that the engine gives out.
The stock engine already comes with pretty restrictiveness. So, you don’t need to do engine modifying too much for getting a new exhaust system.
Another thing you want to keep in mind is that the engine being modified should not start putting out the additional exhaust.
If that happens, you should not delay in redoing the exhaust system. And make sure the engine has all the enhancement it needs. Because without clearing the exhaust out, there will be a clog and that will eventually slow things down.
A Few Things That You Should Know Before Changing the Exhaust System
You definitely need to go this way and get the performance of ford f150 5.0 to become better. But only after realizing a few things, that we will talk about next.
In Case You Add Supercharger or Turbo
If this is the scene, then you perhaps need to redo the exhaust to a certain extent. But also, it’s true that a few exhaust systems are naturally loud. And these would also let more exhaust into the air.
Something that could be added to the allowance of emissions rule. And that is why the decision of how much change exactly you want to do with the exhaust, is tricky and needs enough consideration from your side.
Installing Cat-Back System
This is a simple modification that a lot of people do with their trucks. It should be running from catalytic converters and then go to the top of the exhaust.
If You Want to Increase Horsepower
To do so by making adjustments with the exhaust system is possible. Just get rid of the catalytic converters. But make sure you check with your state’s law. Because some might not allow this.
Local Laws of Noise Restrictions
Happens when you are thinking of replacing the stock exhaust system. Because that will eventually raise the noise level of your vehicle.
And some states would be very strict with their laws regarding this. It can become even more severe if you decide to take out the cat. One of the strictest noise & exhaust rulings is of California, for instance.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do I get more power out of my 5.0 F150?
Apart from the suggestions on performance upgrading of ford f150 5.0 that we discussed, you can also try purchasing higher octane gas. It helps in boosting the power of 5.0 F150.
Is the Ford 5.0 V8 a good engine?
Yes, it’s a quite solid engine that received a lot of positive responses from users. The engine is known for being quite powerful as well as reliable. However, there were a few issues that needed repair according to certain owners.
How long will an F150 5.0 last?
On average if it’s a working truck that goes for around 15 thousand miles every year, you should be able to get a pretty reliable experience for at least 20 years. You should be considering a rebuild of the engine after using it up to 150,000-300,000 miles though.
And those were all about the ford f150 5.0 performance upgrades you can make happen to get the truck working on a better level. There’s more than just one way though. One tip that we would like to give before ending this is about the higher-octane levels.
This becomes even more important if you decide to go or do a professional tuning. As then, the higher-octane levels will just boost the life of your truck to another level. So, think about it!
You Can Also Read:
- The Ford F150 Undercarriage Diagram– What’s Under the Truck?
- Need Ford F150 Door Lock Diagram?
- Ford F150 Parking Brake Diagram Explained
- The Ford Radius Arm Bushing Diagram
- Explanation Of the Ford 300 Inline 6 Vacuum Diagram
Ah! Driving your King has no twist when you have zero knowledge! Yes, Noah is here with his core experiences about trucks, cars, suvs and atvs. Working as a cheif editor for Automasterx to make you satisfied with solid data driven post.