How serious is the trouble code p1604 Toyota tundra for your vehicle? Won’t you be able to drive your precious truck any longer? Getting the trouble code p1604 means you have start-ability malfunctioning. In simple words, your vehicle fails to start or keeps cranking after starting.
This is common in vehicles that run out of battery. But the situation can be devastating and complex to handle. You will fail to start the truck if the fuel filter is clogged.
Well, it is not impossible as the vehicle gets exposed to environmental pollution every day. So let’s get in detail about the problem.
P1604 Toyota Tundra- Reasons and Road to Solutions
The battery life and charge are fine. There are no damaged vehicle parts. Then what could be the reasons for showing p1604 startability malfunction Toyota tundra error code?
Let’s crackdown on all the possible reasons one by one.
- Causes behind the trouble codes Common symptoms
- Damaged battery or battery running out low
- The engine starts and suddenly dies
- The fuel filter is clogged
- Vehicle stalling and frequent misfiring
- The failed engine control unit
- The engine security light will switch on, and excess consumption of fuel
To find out the exact cause of the eruption of trouble code p1604 Toyota tundra 2010, you should do a thorough examination of the engine system, battery condition, and associated wirings in the vehicle. The same process is applicable for other Toyota Tundra models from 2011-2016.
Once you find the vice in the vehicle, let’s focus on the solution.
Cause-1: Damaged battery or battery running out low
Truck batteries are comparatively larger than the batteries used in other gadgets. They have to withstand excessive heat, external dust, and dirt.
Moreover, you should keep in mind that overcharging does not bring any good to the vehicle. Rather it damages the battery. Replace the damaged battery to avoid the p1604 Toyota tundra 2012 trouble code that works mostly.
- Replacement battery
- 10mm wrench
- Mild detergent
- Anti-corrosive solution
- Power off the engine at first.
- Open the hood of the truck
- Then remove the positive wirings (red marked terminal) of the old battery.
- After that, remove the black marked terminal wiring, that is, negative terminal wirings.
- Remove the damaged battery from the truck
- Clean the battery tray with mild detergent and spray an anti-corrosive solution.
- Install the replacement battery.
- Correct all wirings accordingly.
- Close the hood.
- Start the truck for further inspection.
Cause-2: The fuel filter is clogged
One of the reasons behind clogged fuel filters is bad fuel quality. Lack of maintenance can also be blamed. As a result, debris enters the engine and hampers its functions. That is when you get the p1604 Toyota tundra 2016 error code.
Follow these simple steps to clean the fuel filter.
- Jack stands
- Hose clamps.
- Solvent cleaner
- Firstly, switch off the vehicle.
- Locate the fuel filter between the gas tank and the powerful engine.
- Use a jack stand to lift the truck for extra room.
- Collect the spilled fuel using a bucket.
- Then use a flathead screwdriver to detach the clips from the vehicle.
- Disconnect the fuel lines using an adjustable wrench.
- Uninstall the fuel filter from the tray.
- Then spray the solvent clean on the clogged fuel filter.
- Wash it properly with water and let it dry for 40-45 minutes.
- Once the filter is dry, reinstall the fuel filter in the vehicle.
Cause-3: Failed engine control unit
A distinct cause of start ability malfunctioning is a failed engine control unit. It is responsible for maintaining the combustion engine function. Additionally, it controls the vehicle speed, valve, and fuel usage ratio.
When the engine control module is not functioning properly, the engine control light switches on. Replacing the whole module costs a lot of money. Why don’t you try replacing it by yourself first?
- Flathead screwdriver
- Replacement engine control unit
- Clean cloth
- Initially, start by disconnecting the battery wirings.
- Locate the engine control module at the back of the instrument panel.
- Uninstall the engine control module from the engine compartment.
- Install the new engine control unit.
- Wait for some time to re-educating the new module.
- Sync the ignition key to the control unit.
- Switch on the truck.
- Drive the vehicle for about 30-40 minutes to adjust the engine control unit.
- If the engine light does not come up, the faulty engine control unit problem is solved.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is code P1604 Toyota?
What does the engine code P1604 mean?
How do I fix code p1604?
It can be pretty annoying to have a start ability malfunctioning before a trip. The code p1604 Toyota tundra is beneficial to alert the drivers beforehand. Apart from that, you can prevent the code from appearing by regular maintenance, abstaining from overcharging.
Periodically clean the fuel filter and refill it with fresh fuel. This error code does not require any serious inspection. So we hope that you will be able to sort out the problem and solve it following the above guidelines.
You Can Also Read:
- P043E Toyota Tundra Reasons And Solutions Explained
- Easiest Fixing of P2757 Toyota Tundra!
- Easiest Fixes For P2442 Toyota Tundra Error Code [With Tips & Tricks]
- P0418 Toyota Tundra- Causes With Effective Solution [Easy Table]